About My Quest

Happy pigs in mud, cows in clover. This is the way we like to think of farm animals. Unfortunately this is most often not the case. My love of animals and conviction that eating meat is part of the ideal healthy human diet has led me to seek out meat that is:

Humanely raised and treated
Free range
Grass fed
Hormone and Antibiotic free
Pesticide free
Affordable

Although certified organic food is wonderful because you are assured that the producers strictly satisfy the above criteria the cost of these products is generally very high and not affordable for everyone.
'Organic' is a ridiculous term because it simply means that it consists of natural elements. Many food producers are predominantly 'organic' by the definition set out by reputable certifiers however for a range of reasons they do not bother with the expense of becoming certified.
Many farmers produce food that fits the list above and I plan to find them. I encourage you to band together with friends, family and colleagues to buy in bulk direct from these farmers.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

More on Otway Pork










I have just realised that Otway Pork is RSPCA endorsed which Peter Singer and Jim Mason authors of The Ethics of What We Eat say is the most reliable endorsement to guarantee that strict animal welfare standards have been adhered to and due to regular audits are continually maintained.

From the Otway Pork website...

RSPCA Accreditation

The welfare of our pigs has always been paramount. We do not crate or cage Otway pigs, we don’t dock their tails, and we don’t use nose rings – these are all important in keeping pigs free from pain and discomfort. Otway Pork was also the first pig producer in Australia to adopt the RSPCA Approved Farming Scheme. This scheme is based on a set principles established by the RSPCA known as the “five freedoms”:

  • Freedom from hunger and thirst

  • Freedom from discomfort

  • Freedom from pain

  • Freedom to express normal behavior

  • Freedom from fear and distress.

Otway Pork is readily available at large chains such as Coles, Woolworths etc I have noticed that there is a large difference between supermarket outlets in different areas. For instance South Melbourne Coles seems to have less of a range than Prahran Coles in Melbourne.

My husband and I have been enjoying the scotch roast and were delighted to get the already reasonably priced ($13.99 per kilo) roast for a further 30% off as it was a day off expiry.

We decided to test it on our new bbq rotisserie. As it is more than ample for my husband and myself, it should actually feed four people, our little spoiled pooch did quite well out of the arrangement too.

In the New Year I plan to get on the road again and visit farms to verify their claims for myself. In the meantime I can only let you know what I am doing myself to support businesses that are acknowledging that animal welfare is important.


2 comments:

  1. Just a note that Otway Pork is not Free Range or organic. It can only be called 'Bred' Free Range. That means that after the piglets are born outside they are raised inside in 'Eco Sheds' exactly the same way as the largest commercial providers like Rivalea. They are doing very little that is different.

    Rivalea is the largest pork producer and the pork they produce comes from pigs that are raised in straw bottomed Eco Sheds where they can run, play and forage just like the Otway pigs. The only difference is that they weren't born outside. Just because the pigs aren't confined to pens doesn't mean it is free range, you can only make that claim if they live outdoors and only go into shelter when they please.

    Free Range does not mean organic although many people assume it does. After they've been born outside and then moved indoors, Otway feed and raise their pigs just they same way as the largest commercial providers. They're just clever at making it sound like they're doing something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anon,

    I am very suspicious of large producers and this is why I have not included Otway Pork on my recommended list.
    I hope that I am not confusing the issue for people.
    I do however take some heart in the fact that the big chains are making moves towards more humane produce. Whilst bona fide free range is the aim it is far better to have bred free range than sow crate breeding. Just like the life of a barn laid or even some "free range" hens is not idyllic or acceptable it is a far cry from the pain and misery of a cage hen.

    Whilst I personally prefer to source my meat and eggs directly so I know what I am getting the long term aim is to see real change in supermarkets as this will have the greatest impact on the lives of animals.

    Coles and Safeway's decision to phase out cage eggs and Coles' decision to reduce the price of free range eggs is a huge win for animal welfare.

    Thanks for reading and contributing. I am on a huge learning curve.

    ReplyDelete